Thursday, June 30, 2011

10 Years Ago...

I had the longest -&- hardest week of my life...
letting go is never easy
-but-
holding on wasn't an option...your fight was over
-&-
I knew it!?!

You had never really been what people would refer to as in "good health"
-but-
you usually dealt pretty well...I mean you had your days -but- we all do!?!

I knew the start of the week of June 25, 2001 that it had finally started to come to an end...
that you were making your final journey towards your
eternal resting place!?!

When Mom called me that night to tell me that they were taking you from the nursing home to the hospital - I knew it wouldn't be long...
it was a deep heart wrenching feeling that tore me apart -
telling me...this was it!?!

Then on Tuesday after spending time with you in the hospital it just reaffirmed what I already knew...
that you were finally ready to go HOME...
it was just matter of time!?!

I was so sure of it that I called in the family -&- friends on Tuesday night -
so they could come say their last goodbyes if they felt they wanted to!?!

By Wednesday -&- Thursday family was coming in -&- out from both sides
-&-
even friends you'd made from various paths life took you on came to visit
-&-
share stories...there were A LOT of stories!?!

On Friday I went I got my suit for your funeral - I knew it wouldn't be long -&-
I wanted to be prepared...because I knew once you were gone
I may not be able to hold it together long enough to do it!?!

By this time people were staying at the hospital
round the clock so you
didn't leave alone!?!

You even had a very close friend drive all the way from TN
to be there for you when you were freed from this Earth!?!

By Saturday we finally had a system with all the visitors -&- family...
we were pretty comfortable in the waiting room
(although I still hadn't located a warm shower)!?!

On that day various relatives were there to visit
-&-
I had a friend come to see me - who then took me to lunch...
just to get me out of the hospital for a while!?!

While we were out we stopped by
The Family Bookstore
to grab another copy of
"Who Want To Be A Millionaire" - Bible Trivia version book...
for an Uncle who wanted a copy since we had
spend a lot of time entertaining
ourselves with it while waiting...

While in the bookstore...I felt an overpowering sense of loss - so overpowering in fact that I fell to my knees in the bookstore
-&-
began to cry a heart wrenching cry in a way I'd never cried before...
I was overcome with an ache I'd never felt before -&- feeling of grief I'd never known before...
I looked at my watch -&- it was 6:26 PM!?!

We returned to the hospital to see all the family -&- friends sitting outside
...-&-...
as they approached me with arms out reached to tell me...
I told them that
I already knew...
that you were gone...
that God had another angel...!?!

The hospital graciously allowed me to come in -&- say my last goodbyes
-but-
I knew you weren't there...you were with God - you were finally
going to be alright!?!

I was happy in the fact that you were no longer in pain anymore - that your suffering -&- strife were finally over!?!
Even though my heart was shattering -&-my constant sense of security in all I knew was gone...
I still felt some relief knowing you were where you finally belonged!?!

YOU WERE FINALLY HOME!?!

It has been 10 years since you left this Earth...but...you have NEVER left my heart, my mind or my soul!?!
I love you as much now as I did then!?!
I miss you so much Daddy!?!

Rev. Larry Paul Knight
June 15, 1945 - June 30, 2001


I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
2 Timothy 4:7


Today I am thankful for Larry Paul Knight!?!

No comments: