Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cabbage Patch Kids


I was a very lucky little girl when I was about 11 years old Cabbage Patch dolls were there "it" thing -&- my parents got me one that year for my birthday!?! And, to this day I still have -&- love that doll!?!


One day, a young boy named Xavier Roberts wandered into a magic cabbage patch hidden behind a beautiful waterfall. He discovered busy little Bunnybees sprinkling cabbages with magical crystals. Suddenly, all different kinds of kids and babies peeked out of the cabbages! Each one had his or her own special look, personality, name and birthday. “I’ll call you Cabbage Patch Kids!” he said as everyone cheered.

Cabbage Patch Kids are a doll line created by Debbie Morehead and Xavier Roberts in 1978 and originally called "Little People". The original dolls were all cloth and sold at local craft shows, then later at Babyland General Hospital in Cleveland, Georgia. The doll brand went on to become one of the most popular toy fads of the 80's and one of the longest-running doll franchises in America.
They were such great dolls because you could always find a CPK that looked like YOU. They had different hair, skin and eye colors. Straight hair, curly hair. Cute outfits. Boys and girls. Freckles, dimples, whatever!
They even came with little birth certificates that told you their birthdate and name.
The fact that the dolls came with a “history” made them seem like individuals.
I’m not sure how many were made with the same name but it sure did feel like you had a one of a kind baby.
You didn’t just buy a CPK, you adopted him/her.


They all came with Birth Certificates - how cool was that!?!




You could get your dolls all sorts of cool clothes
-&-
accessories!?!


Today I am thankful for parents that loved me enough to bless me with awesome toys!?!

No comments: