Sunday, December 5, 2010

From the American Truck Driver

Since my husband has been a truck driver for the past 23 years
-&-
since I have been traveling OTR (Over The Road) with him for the past 5...
we can both really relate with a letter that we found posted on Facebook
by a another one of our trucking comrades!?!
Please read it -&- let me know what you think...if you agree
-&-
what your opinions are!?!
Whether you are a driver or not...I am curious as to what you have to say!?!


From the American Truck Driver:

I’m required to work 70 hours a week and if I’m lucky I get one day off…away from home. Many others complain about working 40 and only having 2 days off. If I text and drive it can cost me my career, yet you can do it and it just costs you .........a fine.

While I am doing my best trying to find a safe place to park for the night so I can get my legally required 10 hour break, you are kicked back relaxing and watching TV while you have your RV parked at the truck stop.

When I stop to put fuel in my truck, I have to wait in line while you hold up the line playing lottery scratch offs, I’m on the clock, you are just having fun. When you are snuggled up in your warm bed in the winter, I’m freezing my butt off because my truck is considered a nuisance to people like you, so I cannot idle it to stay warm or to keep it cool in the stifling summer heat.

I help to provide this country with everything it needs to keep functioning on a daily basis, while you seem to want to interfere with every aspect of my job, however you would be the first to complain if me and my coworkers decided to stop doing our job.

So please answer me this question America, how is it that the American truck driver is considered a second class citizen, one that should be banished from public view?

You regard us with no sense of importance; animals in fact have more rights than we do. You continue to take away more of what little rights we have left and then claim a moral victory under the guise of safety for the American motoring public.

We make sacrifices to keep food on your table, gas in your car, clothes on your kids, and a roof on your house. All the while making it harder for us to provide our own families with any of those things, I guess somewhere in your sense of humanity you find it fair, you somehow feel you are entitled to label us, mock us, and degrade us.

Then you wonder why many of us want nothing to do with you when you come up and ask us for help when you are stranded on a highway in the middle of nowhere………so ask yourselves, are America’s truck drivers really a problem, or are we an asset?

J.Haggard
11-11-10

No comments: